Thursday 1 November 2012

sunshine, showers and gardening

Taking time out to tend to the garden is one of those pleasures I just cant get enough of. Even with winter fast approaching there are no end of jobs to do on my plot. Im not quite sure how big it is. My neighbour suggests its somewhere around a 1/3 of an acre in total - including my front grassy lawn and the plot the house stands on. some days it doesn't feel big enough, others too big.

At least a 1/3 of my garden is still over grown with brambles. Another 1/3 knee high grass and the rest is slowly being turned in to an assortment of raised beds for vegetables and herbs. Its a slow process with the heavy clay soil requiring a lot of work to dig out the weeds, mostly ivy and brambles.

Pots were scrubbed and put away in the old recycling box ready for spring. The boy cleaned his tools ready to go back in the shed until the spring before he digs anymore holes!

I began building a raised bed out of all the house bricks found around the garden. With plans to sink all the various types of mint I have into it in spring saving a lot of watering in the summer months. I first need to get a decent mix of homemade compost into the bed. Its in an ideal spot right next to the back door. It gets a decent amount of sun and shade in the early evenings, an almost perfect spot for them. I'll spend the next week finishing it off between rain showers.

Roses were pruned. A little weeding tended too. The leaves were swept from the path, some spread over shrubs and the rest bagged for spring. Bird feeders were refilled and tied firmly to new spots in the garden and I even had time to wash the outside of the windows probably for the last this year.

Its not quite ready for winter. Its getting there with jobs slowly being ticked off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment